Handrails play an important role within both residential homes and business settings, helping to provide support and stability whilst moving about the premises. People of all ages benefit from the presence of handrails, but they are especially important for the elderly. A professionally designed and installed handrail system will help to create a safer environment with a reduced risk of falls. In this blog post, Railsafe will share some of the key safety and aesthetic benefits of installing handrails.
What is a Handrail?
A handrail is a permanent fixture attached to either posts or a wall, designed to be grasped by the hand and used for stability and support. Handrails can be intricately or conservatively designed, and they can be made of a range of materials including wood, stainless steel, wrought iron, glass and more. You will most commonly find handrails installed along stairways and escalators, in hallways, in bathrooms, around balconies and other areas with a falls risk. Handrails are required to adhere to Australian design requirements for stairs and steps, with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) noting that handrails should be installed in areas more than 1 meter above the ground to reduce the risk of falls.
You will find handrails installed in buildings including:
- Residential Homes
- Retirement homes
Stainless Steel Handrails – The Benefits
One of the most popular materials for handrails and balustrades is stainless steel, and this is for very good reason. Here are five reasons to opt for stainless steel over alternative materials:
- Durability – steel handrails are exceptionally durable and will look great for many years to come.
- Corrosion Resistant – steel has corrosion resistant properties, making it suitable for a wide range of environments.
- Aesthetically appealing – select from a range of finishes including matt and high polished mirror surfaces to suit your environment. A steel handrail system is aesthetically appealing, modern and will transform the appearance of your property for the better.
- Ease of Cleaning – Simply carry out a quick wipe down with soapy water to remove grime and dust as needed.
- Easy to Work With – Fabricators can produce custom steel handrails quickly and effectively to suit projects big and small.
Stainless Steel Handrails are Suitable for All Properties
Many of Sydney’s newly built apartments make use of stainless steel/glass balustrades and handrails, with these materials favoured for their stylish and modern appearance. Older properties can also benefit from installing stainless steel handrails, which can help to bring the property up to date with current building standards and improve functionality and safety.
No matter the size of your property, your handrails will be custom made to suit your requirements and installed with precision and care. Provided your handrails are cleaned regularly, you can expect a clean and shiny surface for many years to come along with a high level of resistance against corrosion and rust.
How Handrails Reduce Risk of Falls
Handrails are very effective at reducing the risk of slips and falls, but it is important that they are well maintained to encourage people to use them. A professionally installed and maintained handrail system will help to reduce the risk of falls by:
- Slowing the descent downstairs
- Providing stability and control
- Assisting the elderly and differently abled
- Providing peace of mind
- Offering additional safety when carrying heavy objects
Get a Quote for Handrails in Sydney – Contact Railsafe Today
As a leading supplier and installer of balustrades, pool fencing and handrails in Sydney, Railsafe would welcome the opportunity to provide you with an obligation free quote. Call today on (02) 9905 8773, or email firstname.lastname@example.org