When choosing a balustrade, there are a lot of things to consider. At RAILSAFE we provide an extensive range of products to suit all needs, but aluminium balustrades and pool fencing is one of our most commonly requested products – and for good reason.
Aluminium offers everything you could want in a fencing product, without the high cost of manufacture and complex processing requirements. We believe it to be a great choice for any project, and in this blog post we’ll be shedding some light on the benefits of aluminium.
Why Choose Aluminium?
Aluminium offers numerous benefits over a steel railing. Not only is it exceptionally durable, it is also easy to maintain, affordable and quick to install.
The main reasons why you would want to choose aluminium over steel include:
- Rust Resistance – steel is prone to rust if strict maintenance schedules are not followed. If railings will be exposed to weather, aluminium is a much smarter choice as it will resist weathering, corrosion and rust long term. The last thing you want is for the structural integrity of your steel railing to be affected, and the easiest way to avoid this problem is to opt for aluminium instead.
- Lightweight – Steel railings are hard and heavy, and they can detract from the appearance of your home. Aluminium is just as strong and durable, and many people prefer the look and feel of it.
- Cheaper – Aluminium is cheaper and less labour intensive to manufacture than steel or wrought iron, and the cost savings are passed on to you.
- Ease of Maintenance – Powder coated aluminium just needs a wipe down with soapy water on an occasional basis. You don’t need to fuss around with chemical solvents, polish or paint.
- Customisable – Due to its malleability, aluminium can be made to fit just about any design requirement.
- Shorter Installation Times – Aluminium is quick to work with and requires less manpower for installations, meaning you get to enjoy your new fence or balustrade sooner.
Corrosion Resistance in Balustrading
Every balustrade needs to serve its function as a safety barrier reliably, and you expect to enjoy many years of service when you make the investment. Rust is one of the biggest contributors to premature failure of steel railings.
Aluminium is superior because it is naturally resistant to corrosion. If the mill aluminium is exposed to the air, a very thin layer of oxide begins to form on the aluminium, unlike steel where corrosion eats away at the metal. Various surface finishes like powder coating and anodising provide excellent protective coatings against corrosion, making aluminium ideal for use both indoors/outdoors in all parts of Australia. When used in coastal environments, stainless steel tends to take on a “tea stain” like appearance due to oxidation caused by the salty sea air. For these reasons, aluminium is a better option for most people.
Easy to Work With
Working with aluminium is a breeze in comparison to steel and iron. Our installation team are able to complete jobs much faster because they don’t have to deal with back breaking loads and transportation of heavy-duty machinery.
Aluminium fabrication processes performed at RAILSAFE’S factory or onsite during the installation are significantly faster and more efficient then alternate material processing practises. This is reflected in the higher price and installation costs of alternative balustrade materials.
Aluminium Balustrade and Fencing Experts – Contact RAILSAFE Today
At RAILSAFE we are passionate about providing our customers with the best quality products at a reasonable price. We believe aluminium to be a far superior choice over the alternatives, as it is not only affordable but also highly durable, good looking and easy to work with.
If you’ve been thinking about installing a new balustrade or fence, please contact us today. We would love to take you through our product range and answer any further questions you may have.